Sunday, January 16, 2011

What Profit Is an Idol?

In my "Cliche first 'why blog?' post" I stated that I would explain the title of my blog: "What profit is an idol?" 46 posts and 280 days later, I suppose that would make a good post.

As written on the top of this page, the question comes from Habakkuk 3:18 which says:
"What profit is an idol when its maker has shaped it, a metal image, a teacher of lies? For its maker trusts in his own creation when he makes speechless idols! Woe to him who says to a wooden thing, Awake; to a silent stone, Arise!" (ESV)
Habakkuk is easily one of my favorite OT books. It's short, sweet, and very easy to apply to our lives. I love that in this book we see the main character, author, and prophet, Habakkuk, change from a dude questioning the sovereignty of God and his justice to a man who trusts God to work all things for His glory. Habakkuk is petitioning for something righteous, for God's glory, for the wicked to be punished. Interestingly, I find myself in the shoes of both Habakkuk and of the wicked that he prays judgement for.

The Lord's responses to Habakkuk are simply amazing (as we should expect a response from God to be). After Habakkuk complains to God for the first time, the Lord tells him:
"Look among the nations, and see; wonder and be astounded. For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told." (Habakkuk 1:5 ESV)
I also, often find myself seemingly complaining to God while my 'enemies' prosper. Take for example, my often prayer for a wife which has obviously not yet been answered. I've really been struggling to meet a single, Proverbs 31 women since moving to Harrisburg...let alone one that I could see myself marrying. And because, I, like Habakkuk, have prayed so often, yet don't see God moving in the situation at the current moment, I become discontent and I complain. And it is at this point where I seem to find myself in the shoes of the 'wicked' who Habakkuk is praying that God would punish.

Rather than wait and be patient I tend to trust myself and lean on my own abilities rather than my Savior God. Since Mark Driscoll tells me that what a woman should find attractive is a Bible and a job...I'll be sure to study my Bible inside an out and try to look as though I have it all together and I'll work as hard as I possibly can to not only get the best job that I possibly can, but then I'll compare myself to others (other Christian men) to make sure I'm ahead of the game. And if I'm not the best...I'll just work harder. Additionally, it is also probable that I make having a wife into an idol, and that once married all of my problems will disappear.

The problem with my response isn't that I'm pursuing evil. As a matter of fact, seeking to understand God's Word and working hard are certainly good things. But, the problem is that I'm leaning on my own abilities. I'm 'trusting in my own creation' rather than God. I worship an idol of my own performance. And so the question arises: why? What profit is there in worshiping anything other than The creator? How can I possibly convince the God who created this entire universe (mountains, stars, animals, humans, etc) that the equations that I derive, or the incredibly looking dinner I just cooked (no really, it was great!), or the consumer electronics that I design in my job are in the least bit impressive. I can't. They're not impressive to God. Its just as foolish as giving an account of my life to God by saying "look at my boat God...and look at my shell collection..." (John Piper). While you can't put a scale on us to God...think of whatever lame story I could possibly tell compared to the claim: "I walked on the moon" (Brian Regan). I'm simply not impressive and nothing I do should be worshipped by myself or anyone else.

Thus, the question: "What profit is an idol?" is one in which I must often ask myself. First, am I genuinely doing this out of a love for God? Or am I doing it because I trust myself and would rather worship my own performance. Seeing that question at the top of the page is a great reminder to me whenever I go to post something and a question which I must commit to asking myself in everything I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment