Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cliché first “why blog?” post

Being that every blog must contain that cliché first (or 3rd) post answering the question: “why blog?” I figured that I should answer that.

I’ve really been getting into this blog reading thing over the past few months. I’ve been reading blogs by Mark Driscoll & the rest of the Mars Hill crew, Justin Taylor, John Piper & Desiring God, Kevin DeYoung, The Resurgence, and a few tech blogs, just to name a few. Several friends had done them while on missions trips and I always enjoyed reading what was going on in their lives halfway around the world. Because I enjoyed reading them so much I figured that I would enjoy writing them as well. I had been thinking about starting my own blog for a while. But there was always the lack of anything that I really wanted to write about.

Maybe it’s just because I've been spending too much time doing my work in coffee shops recently that I have just been sucked into their Macbook ”individuality” culture (you know, they all, like Tim Deal, buy a Macbook to be "different" but then sit in a coffee shop where I'm the only guy using a PC), or it’s just that I’m approaching my mid-twenties, which alongside finding a job, relocating, starting a family, and listening to John Mayer; blogging just seems like the thing that you have to do.

Last Thursday my good friend, Mike Anderson, said “I think I’m going to start a blog”. Three minutes later I had my motivation to start writing as well. After a brief discussion with him I decided that ultimately this blog would be more for my own enjoyment of writing on topics that interest me, topics that I would probably write emails to Mike about after we part ways upon graduation in a few months anyway. And to be perfectly honest, I still don’t know what my primary focus will be. I intend to use it primarily to better structure my thoughts on theological topics. However, I also plan to write simply about what’s going on in my life, and probably throw a Shure earphone plug here and there.

And I promise that future posts will not be anywhere near as long as my prior posts. I will explain the title of the blog (What profit is an idol?), which ties in heavily with why I wanted to start this blog, in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment