Sunday, July 17, 2011

Changes

It would be an understatement to say that a lot has changed in my life since my last post.  I would first like apologize to anyone that may have thought that I fell off the face of the earth...I'm still here.  Here's a very brief life update:

My last day of work in our Harrisburg office was April 17th.  I left for Pittsburgh later that day, to begin a 5 day cross country road trip to my new home in Seattle, WA.  You can see some pictures HERE.  The trip was amazing and something that I wish every US citizen could/would do.  It is amazing what our country has to offer...I would much rather do that drive again than spend a week on some Caribbean island.

After living in a Bellevue, WA hotel for 2 weeks I headed to China (Shanghai, Kunshan, Shenzhen, Longhau, Zhuhai, Hong Kong) for another 2 weeks (for work).  This was an amazing experience and was certainly eye opening.  Three things stick out in my mind: (1) The food usually tasted pretty good but there are heads and bones on/in everything. It's not much of a stretch to say that I ate in a Petco while there.  When you walk in they hand you a net and you pull out what you want to eat from a room full of aquariums.  Then they cook and serve it...eyes still glaring up at you. (2) Several places in China have far worst pollution than LA.  I wish I had worn ski goggles because it burns your eyes.  (3) The Chinese are some of the most friendly, caring people that I've ever met.  I'm looking forward to a return trip...hopefully I'll be able to speak a little more Mandarin by then.

On Memorial Day weekend I moved into my new high-rise downtown Bellevue (eastside of Seattle) apartment as soon as my flight home landed...and I slept on the floor in my unfurnished apartment for a few days...literally, I didn't move for a few days (good thing I had Monday off!).  I've since furnished my apartment, found a church (that was a tough one...Mars Hill being so close and all), found great community at Mars Hill, have gotten settled into the area & work, and have even gotten back into the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook...if only I could get back into that mass-reading plan.

I'll hopefully get back into this in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment