Monday, April 18, 2011

My Cross Country Road Trip

I guess by now most of you know that I recently accepted a relocation offer from my company to Redmond, WA (east-side of Seattle). While most all of my belongings are being taken by truck, I was given the option to take 3 extra vacation days and drive across the country from Harrisburg, PA to Redmond, WA.  I'm also incredibly fortunate to have a friend coming along for the ride.  Even more fortunately, his hilarity will undoubtedly make this a trip to remember for a lifetime.

Here's my tentative route:


View Larger Map

First evening (187 miles): Harrisburg, PA to my parent's house - need to do a quick last minute cosmetic car repair and it's on the way.
Day 1 (540 miles): Belle Vernon, PA to Chicago, IL - meeting up with some friends from Shure at an amazing blues bar
Day 2 (934 miles): Chicago, IL to Mt Rushmore, SD - who doesn't want to see some giant faces carved into a mountain?  Though, I can say with near certainty we're not making it all the way there in one day and will probably stop 3/4th way.
Day 3 (590 miles): Mt Rushmore to Yellowstone, WY - 'nuff said
Day 4: Spend the day in the park
Day 5 (771 miles): Yellowstone to Seattle, WA

All in all, that's just over 3000 miles through 11 states...I'll post some pictures when it's over.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! That's a ridiculous amount of mileage per day! Having just driven from TX to PA in three days, I would have liked to stretch it out a little more. At least you have two drivers. Yellowstone will be sweet though! Have fun...when is this going down by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, I love how your name shows up as "TPHB Senior Writer"! I wish I could spread the trip out by a few more days...but 5 days is much more reasonable than the 3 days (weekend included) that I was initially given to do the entire trip. This trip sure came up fast...Smatrick is meeting me on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete