Sunday, November 14, 2010

When Helping Hurts

I just finished one of the most impactful and practical books that I've ever had the privilege of reading. The book is called "When Helping Hurts" by Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert. The sub-title of the book is "how to alleviate poverty without hurting the poor and yourself".

The portion of the book that I found particularly helpful is in the answer to the question that most ignorant middle-class Americans have for the poor: "why don't you just get a job". One of the biggest things holding the poor & unemployed from getting a job is not feeling worthy of one...because so many people keep telling them that they aren't. Because I read most of the book during lunch breaks at work this past week I had several opportunities to discuss the topic with co-workers. When I asked "what do you think the poor need?", I was almost unanimously given the response of "a job". Before this past spring break, I would have said the same thing. Yet, it's that answer that keeps them from getting a job. Really, they need support, to know that they are made in God's image - just like us, they need people that will tell them that they are indeed good enough and are capable of being good stewards of their time and money. The book also explains many of the cultural issues that surround much of the poor communities and a governmental system that rewards them for being complacent with a welfare check.

The book also covers the impact (or lack there of) of short term missions trips, business plans to help sustain impoverished cultures, etc. I particularly found all of Corbett's examples incredibly practical, helpful, and encouraging.

I wouldn't say this for many books...but definitely put this next in your "to-read-que", especially if you think that the biggest problem with the poor is the lack of a job, or if you're planning to go on a "missions trip".

No comments:

Post a Comment