Wednesday, September 29, 2010

When do I want Jesus?

As I was sitting alone, as usual, at my dinner table enjoying the 'fruits' of my labors I started pondering the question: When do I want Jesus?

It's easy to praise God when something good happens in our life. When we are hurting or desperately need something we mightily pray that God would provide. If we are disciplined enough, when our clock strikes 7am we spend our hour (or some other division of time) with Jesus. But what about the other 23 hours of or day? How do we respond to the world around us? Do we have a burning desire to give everything to Jesus when 'we' have just accomplished something? Even in our quite times, do we do them to score some points with the big man?

I don't think that many Christians, myself included, are disciplined enough to make every second about Jesus. But why? I have 3 possibilities:

(1) I think a good part of it has to do with our culture. American's have a dream that most certainly does not bring God much glory. We can't serve our own comfort while honoring God. And everything around us tells us that our biggest need is to be as comfortable as possible.

(2) One that makes me a little angry is pop-Christian culture. Take almost any Christian radio station for instance...have you ever listen to a station for longer than a 15 minute period where the programing wasn't geared toward, as Driscoll would perhaps call, the sissy, sweater-vest-wearing, pansy, who would rather play video games than go to a monster-truck rally? Their commentary is always for the broken hearted emo-kid. And it's great that they're reaching out to that demographic, but I think it puts a spin on Jesus that you only need Him when you need something....like to feel better about yourself because you weigh 230lbs as a result of driving 100 too many times halfway around the block to pick up a large order of fries.

(3) Finally, I think we lose sight of Jesus because we simply don't know how to keep our eyes on Him in everything we do. It's tough. I'll admit that I lose sight of Christ in many God honoring activities that I take part in on a daily basis: work, cooking dinner, interacting with other people, going to the gym, etc. I'm not saying that it's impossibly...just beyond most of our training. But we need to learn how to make every second about Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment